About Deep Roots
Deep Roots is an actively anti-racist and inclusive organization. We serve all students, support all families, and advocate for our communities. Our learners and team will discover their purpose, potential and actively work to dismantle barriers within and beyond our walls. Our core values are practice, service and purpose.
Practice: Each and every individual in our school community, from student to leadership, will engage in deliberate practice, and value this as the path to excellence.
Service: Our service-learning model will be discipline based; it will require students to have a presence in the community, and reflect on their experiences regularly.
Purpose: We want to empower our students to uncover their unique gifts and talents, and apply them towards an outward purpose about which they are passionate.
At full growth Deep Roots Charter School (DRCS) will serve 360 K-5 students in the Kensington/Harrowgate neighborhoods of Philadelphia. Deep Roots has been educating students in Philadelphia since 2018.
DRCS seeks a dynamic educator with a track record of building and maintaining a strong organizational culture for students and staff. The Dean of Students will work under the direction of the CEO/School Leader to develop and implement school culture and behavior systems and processes that support the success of Deep Roots Charter School. The Dean of Students is responsible for supporting work that will ensure that Deep Roots Charter School provides a high quality, mission and vision driven educational/work experience for all DRCS students and employees.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead, model, and implement a comprehensive behavior management system to ensure a positive and achievement oriented school culture. This system will include opportunities to celebrate and reward students, in addition to structures that provide fair and consistent response to student behavior.
- Create and contribute to systems that ensure that routines and procedures that build a strong student, school, and classroom culture from arrival, to lunch, to dismissal, and for each moment between.
- Work with Leadership Team and Culture team members to develop and coordinate ongoing school activities and initiatives that build strong and positive student and school culture.
- Work with Specialized Services team members to develop and monitor the implementation strong individualized behavior plans that meet student needs
- Lead/implement any necessary action steps and maintain records that allow DRCS to consistently and fairly respond to student behaviors
- Lead and/or oversee the implementation of community meetings, restorative circles, full school events, and other opportunities to embed school culture building within the academic day
- Coach teachers on effective classroom management strategies, and opportunities to build strong classroom culture
- Engage family members, staff, teachers, and the community in maintaining a strong, academically focused and safe school community.
- Maintain and monitor school safety and order by being consistently accessible and present within the school community.
Qualifications, Mindsets and Skillsets
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom
- Demonstrated significant positive results with students as a classroom instructor or culture team member
- Belief in a restorative and proactive approach to building and maintaining school culture, rather than a punitive or reactive approach to building and maintaining school culture
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player
- Belief in and alignment with Deep Roots’ mission
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated and documented ability to motivate and inspire others
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, required. Master’s degree, preferred.
- Teacher certification, preferred
- Pennsylvania Certification in Administration or ability to acquire within one year, preferred
- Minimum 5 years teaching experience OR 5 years experience leading school culture initiatives within an education setting, preferred
- Documented experience managing and implementing school wide culture systems
- At least one year experience on a School Leadership Team, preferred
- Experience in Urban Charter School system(s), preferred
- Proven success as a leader in working with professional staff, students, and the community toward achieving goals.
- Experience working with and supporting a strong, diverse team.
Deep Roots Charter School offers competitive benefits for full-time employees including but not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development
Title: Dean of Students
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19134
Job Type: Full-Time
Reports To: CEO/School Leader