About Deep Roots
Deep Roots is an actively anti-racist and inclusive organization. We serve all students, support all families, and advocate for our communities. Our learners and team will discover their purpose, potential and actively work to dismantle barriers within and beyond our walls. Our core values are practice, service and purpose.
Practice: Each and every individual in our school community, from student to leadership, will engage in deliberate practice, and value this as the path to excellence.
Service: Our service-learning model will be discipline based; it will require students to have a presence in the community, and reflect on their experiences regularly.
Purpose: We want to empower our students to uncover their unique gifts and talents, and apply them towards an outward purpose about which they are passionate.
At full growth Deep Roots Charter School (DRCS) will serve 360 K-5 students in the Kensington/Harrowgate neighborhoods of Philadelphia. Deep Roots has been educating students in Philadelphia since 2018.
DRCS seeks a dynamic educator with a track record of leading an organization, educators, and learners towards academic success. The Assistant Principal will work under the direction of the CEO/School Leader to support the instructional success of Deep Roots Charter School. The Assistant Principal is responsible for supporting in work that will ensure that Deep Roots Charter School provides a high quality, mission and vision driven educational/work experience for all DRCS students and employees.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Lead and support in the implementation of DRCS vision and academic programming, including overseeing classroom and school wide practices, curriculum implementation, events and initiatives that contribute to a positive school culture for all school stakeholders
- Lead and supervise educators focused on providing high quality instruction and supports for DRCS students and families.
- Provide feedback, evaluate lesson plans, lead regular observations, and build skill and capacity in school staff to provide high quality instruction and supports for DRCS students and families.
- Use data to track student, teacher, and school progress toward measurable goals and identify/propose solutions to challenges
- Model and intentionally build joy, growth mindset, intellectual curiosity, and excellent teaching throughout the DRCS community and classrooms
- Lead, manage and/or support various school administrative functions
- Additional duties as assigned/needed
Qualifications, Mindsets and Skillsets
- Drive to improve the minds and lives of students in and out of the classroom
- Demonstrated significant positive results with students as a classroom instructor
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for academic subjects, especially curriculum specific to DRCS
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player
- Belief in and alignment with Deep Roots’ mission
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated and documented ability to motivate and inspire others
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree, preferred
- Teacher certification, required
- Pennsylvania Certification in Administration or ability to acquire within one year, preferred
- Minimum 5 years teaching experience, and at least one year experience on a School Leadership Team
- Experience in Urban Charter School system(s), preferred
- Proven success as a leader in working with professional staff, students, and the community toward achieving goals.
- Experience working with and supporting a strong, diverse team.
Deep Roots Charter School offers competitive benefits for full-time employees including but not limited to:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Paid Time Off
- Professional Development
Title: Assistant Principal of Instruction
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19134
Job Type: Full-Time, In-Person
Reports To: CEO/School Leader